Thursday, October 29, 2009

Marion Wright Edelman Started the Childrens Defense Fund in the early 1970's

and she's been going strong ever since.

I didn't know anything at all about this dynamic woman until I saw a mention
about Malaak Compton-Rock and her trip to South Africa with the Bushwick Kids.

The Bushwick Kids Malaak Compton-Rock



Well this video really made me want to know more about
Malaak Compton-Rock was doing. So I dug around and found ;

Angel Rock Project and African Ancestry Help Teens Find Roots



One thing led to another and I found this:

Malaak Compton-Rock Children's Defense Fund



So this is where she got her inspiration?
I really wanted to know more about Marion Wright Edelman.
So I googled and searched youtube and guess what?
There is no end to the data on Edelman or the CDF
I see right away that President Obama made the wrong call
for the Health and welfare cabinet position.

Then again ms Edelman appears
to be working too well to be in government.

Introduction to the Children's Defense Fund




CDF Freedom Schools® Program Introductory Video




CDF President Marian Wright Edelman Health Care Reform Testimony



At this point, I'd say if you want to be on a winning team,
look up ms Marion Wright Edelman ASAP.

Peace out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Edelman is our modern day super-hero. Following along the lines of people like Ella Baker, Fannie Lou Hamer and others. I participated in their Freedom Schools almost 20 years ago and I also received a scholarship from CDF for college. They are truly making an impact! Thanks for writing this great piece!

Anonymous said...

Marian Wright Edelman is my personal shero and she's one of the modern day super-heroes. I participated in the Freedom Schools program almost 20 years ago and I received a "Beat the Odds" scholarship from her organization CDF when I was in college. They have a great research database on their website where they share statistics about children, gun violence and poverty. She has singlehandedly changed the lives of more children than anyone I can think of. Thanks for posting this story!